No matter where new law firm clients come from, it’s important to celebrate each one and recognize the originator.
Getting new clients is tough. Especially in this economy. Whether your firm has a full-time business developer, or if new business is brought in by each attorney, getting new clients is nonstop hard work and often goes unnoticed. But it’s vital for the growth of your firm, so it’s important to stop and take the time to celebrate each new business victory.
Here are 5 reasons to celebrate your law firm’s new client wins:
- It gets your law firm focused on the future. Reminding your attorneys that new business is the lifeblood of your law firm is a good thing.
- It creates buy-in for your law firm’s new business process. Your new business pipeline needs to be a well-oiled machine, a process that creates a consistent flow of new potential clients. Consistency is key, and recognizing wins will make others want to be a part of the process.
- It provides an opportunity to recognize everyone who contributed to the effort. Oftentimes, the staff doesn’t realize who was responsible for the initial lead, so make sure the originator gets recognized and feels appreciated for their efforts. Even if the new business comes from unlikely sources, like your receptionist or intern, encourage them and recognize their efforts.
- It breeds a positive attitude among the staff and creates excitement about the firm.
- It builds a reputation that your firm is on a hot streak and draws the attention of other prospective clients. There is a natural curiosity that comes to those who break out of the pack among their competitors.
Law firms often fall short on internal communications, so I thought I would pass on some ways to communicate wins and control the message so that your staff isn’t hearing about new business for the first time around the “water-cooler.”
- Have a celebration with the entire firm.
- Provide a monetary payment to the staff member who provided the initial referral.
- Build buzz with a press release. Include “appropriate” photos from the celebration.
- If your firm has one, communicate new business wins through your firm’s newsletter.
- Share information about new business, if appropriate, via your social media outlets.
- Add new clients to your Website, along with a copy of the press release too.
If you would like to share some of your law firm’s new business wins here, please feel free to do so in the comment section below.