Follow these rules on SEO and get your law firm’s website ranked higher on search queries.
Search Engine optimization allows for people to easily find your site. Usually it only means you have to make small modifications to your website to get it optimized.
The following is a list compiled from the Google’s Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide to make your site visible in search engines, but always remember your main client is your customer-not a search engine.
- Pages on your site: Make sure every page has an accurate and brief page title as well as an accurate and brief title tag. Title tags are important because it tells both users and search engines what the topic of a particular page is, so make sure they are unique and different for each page. Normally, the title tag is what shows up in a search on Google.
- Meta Tags: A meta tag for a page is a description and summary of your pages content. These tags give Google and other search engines a type of summary for your site. You never know Google might use these as snippets for your pages when someone is searching it. When you are writing these met tags, make sure they are accurately describing the page and don’t write generic tags such as,” this is a page about…”.
- URLs: Make sure your URL is simple and text driven. You don’t want cryptic letters and numbers in your URL-you want a URL that tells you what you are about to click on. A URL with relevant words in it will show accurate information to a search engine or a user.
- Navigation: When navigation is easy on your site, users will be able to find the content they were looking for easier. Create links linking things from within the site and links linking information outside the site. Also, use mostly text for navigation. It’s hard for Google to recognize Flash and other fancy stuff for navigation titles.
- Interesting Quality: An interesting site will get more users than a site that is boring and has no relevant information. Organic word of mouth is what really grows your site, so get a blog, email, or use other sources of social media and talk about something buzz worthy!
These are a few tips to get your site noticed. Always keep your client/user/customer in mind when making these changes! After all, it’s all about them!
Download a copy of Google’s Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide